Learn to draw & sketch – drawing basics for beginners w/ exciting 3D sketching exercises to develop your drawing skills.
What you’ll learn
- how to draw lines, curves, 2D/3D shapes
- how to see with the eyes of the artist
- how to sketch real life subjects
- perspective drawing basics
- shading basics
- no previous drawing knowledge or special drawing tools are necessary
This is the first episode of my How to Draw Series. This course is about Basic Drawing Skills and 3D Sketching.
If you are an absolute beginner at drawing, this session can be a perfect choice for your very first drawing course. Or if you are not a beginner, but you are having difficulties with your drawings, you are just probably missing some of the basic puzzles which can be easily fixed in these lessons.
This course requires no previous drawing knowledge or special drawing equipment.
We’ll be drawing with simple traditional graphite pencil on ordinary paper.
The first section is kind of an introduction to drawing.
I will show you
- the drawing tools you need
- optional tools for the future
- how to hold the pencil to get a better drawing experience
- how to see the world with the eyes of the artist
In the second section we will go through the basic building blocks of drawing. We will develop your basic drawing skills making a lot of fundamental drawing exercises.
You will learn how to draw
- straight lines
- parallel lines
- simple 2D shapes like triangles, rectangles, and squares
- circles, ovoid shapes, and ellipses
- simple 3D objects like cubes and cylinders
We will also develop your hand coordination by connecting dots with straight and curved lines.
The goal of these lessons is to gain confidence at drawing these simple elements that we will use to build more complex objects.
I will give you an introduction to perspective drawing discussing the most frequently used 2-point and 3-point perspective. I will also explain an important drawing principle called foreshortening. With this knowledge you’ll be able to draw subjects convincingly in the 3D space.
In the third section we’ll put the drawing skills you’ve learned into practice. We will make all sorts of sketches on real life subjects based on reference photos. We will draw
- a chess pawn built from simple 2D shapes
- a chair by drawing straight lines using the rules of perspective
- a fish using a bunch of S-curves
- a profile portrait to practice proportions
- a chess pawn with simple shading
- a pair of glasses
- a dancing human figure for an introduction to gesture drawing
- and an astronaut just for fun
At the end of the course you can check if your drawing skills have improved. You can compare your sketches made at the beginning and at the end of the course. If you make all the exercises with me, I’m sure you will make a difference.
I hope you will enjoy this course as much as I did during its creation.
See you in my Basic Drawing Skills & Sketching Exercises course!
Who this course is for:
- absolute beginners at drawing
- beginners who need more confidence at drawing
This course includes:
- 3.5 hours on-demand video
- 16 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of completion
If this course was expired means read our disclosure.